Ergobaby is probably the best known carrier on the market after the mass produced carriers the library does not advocate. It is also one of the most counterfeited so if you want to buy one please buy from an official seller. Ergobaby has a lovely explanation of what to look for here. If in doubt as to whether the seller you have found is real don't hesitate in asking me or contacting ergo.
The Original is made of durable cotton canvas with high-density padding and adjustable straps. It is available in a variety of popular colors and as with all Ergobaby carriers, it keeps baby safe, close, and comfortable while providing you freedom of movement. They also support babies in a knee to knee position which is optimum for hip development. (More details can be found here)
The Ergobaby carrier is simple to use, especially when babies reach 15lb and they are definitely daddy friendly. I came home to find my slingphobic husband using it to carry our 16week old. I would prefer easily crossable straps for a front carry but the chest strap is comfortable enough and it is very comfy for back carries. I have a small frame and do have the webbing on smallest setting but the chest strap does mean it doesn't fall off my shoulders. I am not a massive fan of the insert required to make the carrier suitable for newborns, especially the newer heart 2 heart insert as I find it bulky and in warm weather too hot. It is designed to boost the baby up in the sling but I have found that although my baby is only 13lb and technically should still be using the insert he seems far to big and squashed when in it. However, for small babies they work well and do help provide added support.
A simple carrier that should get people into carrying their babies in a comfortable and safe way. I have even had the 14kg toddler on my back in it over the past week. The pocket on the front makes for handy storage for dog walk supplies and keys and it is comfortable to wear. A little bulky to be a 'handbag' sling but perfect for those who want something padded and with storage.
There are a superb set of instructional videos on their website too so definite thumbs up for helping you to make it easy to use.
Spec of the Ergobaby Original (from http://store.ergobaby.com/Baby_Carriers/Original/BC4S).
- Collection: Ergobaby Original
- Carrier body: 100% cotton canvas
- Carrier lining: 100% cotton poplin
- Carrier weight: 1.52 lbs / 690 grams
- Sleeping Hood: Integrated, 100% cotton poplin with elastic edging and snap-to-strap attach. Supports baby’s head while sleeping and protects from sun and wind. Adjusts in length with 5 snap levels for growth of baby.
- Shoulder straps: Padded with 1” high-density premium foam, expanding from 24” to 45”
- Waist strap: Padded with 1/4” high-density EVA foam, expanding from 26” to 49”
- Chest strap: Sliding adjustment
- Fill: 100% cotton batting in body of carrier to soften edges
- Small zippered stuff pouch, doubles as Sleeping Hood storage
- Large zippered storage pocket holds your wallet, keys, and mobile phone